Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: WAP Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 09 2004 at 20:37 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I noticed that there is an index.wml file in the PH web folder! I just bought my first WAP-enabled phone and want to play, but, I'm getting a "502 bad gateway" on my phone when I try to log in. Hints?

Also, I figured out how to send a webcam image to my new phone! How cool is that?!

TIA - Tony

Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 11 2004 at 09:20 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

Congrats on the new phone!!

If there is an index.wml file in the web folder, I would probably just delete it or rename it.  PowerHome contains an internal index.wml.  Now if you want to override the internal one and create your own customized one, then drop an index.wml in the web folder.

The 502 error is coming from your cell phone service provider.  PowerHome does not ever return that error code.  If you have T-Mobile (like I do), they block access to certain ports and that may be your problem.  From what Ive read and my own discovery, traffic only seems to get through on port 80 and port 8080.  Other providers may have similar restrictions.

Once you get the gateway problem cleared up, you can also get your webcam images on your cellphone via the web.  I use a PSP to zap a single image (jpg) from the webcam and save it to a file.  I then use a freeware utility called nconvert to convert the image to a resolution that fits my cellphone as well as make it a GIF.  The PSP then passes back a link to this file I created on the fly and Im able to view and refresh right from the phone .

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 11 2004 at 14:25 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Good info, thanks! Your port comments make sense. I can already get to my webcam, plus, my phone resizes the image automagically. I'll be lowering the res, though, to help with the inherent WAP speeds!

Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 11 2004 at 23:45 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Well, I can see the IP being logged, but, I still get a 502 even running PH on 8080. I have a call into Cingular and a post on alt.cellular.cingular.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 12 2004 at 12:04 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I just found out that Cingular does not block any ports! I'm not sure where to go from here with respect to PH.

I'm even having trouble accessing wml pages through my normal web server, and, a server plugin in WinAmp (BrowseAmp).

Maybe a router issue? The problem with this theory is that using phone simulators I've downloaded, BrowseAmp works fine (even by accessing from the other side of the router).

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 12 2004 at 18:48 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

It occurred to me that I may not have documented in the beta how to access the internal WAP server .  If you were just trying to access the WAP server like you would the normal way and you were returning HTML, you would probably get your above error, since the Cingular gateway is not able to handle HTML.

There are a couple of ways to access the WAP server.  If you have a WML page in your webserver directory that you wish to access use: http://youripaddress/filename.wml.  PowerHome includes an internal page equivalent to an index.wml as: http://youripaddress/index.wml or http://youripaddress/ph-wap/main.  If you don't have an index.wml file in your web directory, then the first statement will pull the internal.  If index.wml does exist, then it will override the internal and will be used instead.  The /ph-wap/main will ALWAYS pull the internal.  This way you can mix and match internal and custom WML file you design.  You can also use PSP to return WML files...just be sure and use the ph_setwebcontenttype function to "text/vnd.wap.wml".

The current functionality of the internal WAP server is limited, but you can certainly expand it to however you like using both PSP and static WML pages.

The current internal pages are:/ph-wap/main, /ph-wap/system, /ph-wap/macros, /ph-wap/macrolist, /ph-wap/playmacro, /ph-wap/formula, and /ph-wap/evalformula.

Give this a try and let me know if this gets you further along .

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 13 2004 at 08:07 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Thanks for the additional info, but, there was no change. I'll have to do some WAP research this weekend...

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 13 2004 at 10:17 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Well! Turns out my normal web server just needed some tweaking to properly serve the wml files. It works!

Now for PH...

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 13 2004 at 15:49 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

Glad to hear you've had some success.

I went ahead and tried guest access to your WAP server and had no problems.  I hit the web address in your user profile with the WAP tacked on: http://tonyno.ods.org:8000/ph-wap/main using the online WAP browser at http://www.gelon.net/.

Let me know if I can help you troubleshoot at all.

Dave.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 13 2004 at 17:00 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

The two WAP-phone simulators I downloaded don't work as well as that one! Thanks!

Dang! Maybe my wireless provider is choking on the authentication for some reason... I get the login prompt fine, then, the 502 comes right after that. Hmm. Wonder if my phone has cookies enabled...

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 31 2005 at 22:23 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Well, it took long enough, but, I think my old router dying was the solution. I bought a new one, and things work fine now!

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 01 2005 at 08:55 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Awesome!

Let me know how it goes.

Dave.

krommetje
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 01 2005 at 13:26 | IP Logged Quote krommetje

TonyNo wrote:
Thanks for the additional info, but, there was no change. I'll have to do some WAP research this weekend...

I have been looking into WAP a couple of weeks ago and wanted to connect by using homecontrol.krommetje.nl/ph-wap:9600 but that did not work either. I sent an e-mail to my provider (KPN)asking if an alternative port-server would be possible to use and the answer was:

and I quote!

Dear sir,

in theory it should work but we are not sure if it does in real life. We have never gotten this question so the only thing we can say is if your wap-server is available through your regular pc-browser you can try to connect to your wap-server on a different port using your wap-phone.

hopefully this will help,

end of quote!

Perhaps T-mobile and KPN block other ports then 80.... I haven't been able to get it to work... the network keeps returning "unknown error connecting to port .. "

Peter

Peter

Edited by krommetje
Back to Top View krommetje's Profile Search for other posts by krommetje Visit krommetje's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 01 2005 at 15:43 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Peter,

Keep in mind that the standard PowerHome webserver and the WAP server share the same port so you must use whatever port you use to access the webserver. The difference is based upon the actual file requested and the MIME type is adjusted appropriately.

In any event, the proper format for accessing the default WAP page within PowerHome (using your above example) would be:

http://homecontrol.krommetje.nl:9600/index.wml

Even though you don't have an actual file named "index.wml" in the PowerHome web directory, it will serve up the default internal one. If you wish to override the default internal page, then create your own "index.wml" file in the webserver directory.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Edited by dhoward

krommetje
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 02 2005 at 06:23 | IP Logged Quote krommetje

dhoward wrote:
Peter,
Keep in mind that the standard PowerHome webserver and the WAP server share the same port so you must use whatever port you use to access the webserver. The difference is based upon the actual file requested and the MIME type is adjusted appropriately.

Would it be possible to have the temperatures from my previous project to be read in the Index.wml as a menu-item or a seperate file?

Quote:

In any event, the proper format for accessing the default WAP page within PowerHome (using your above example) would be: http://homecontrol.krommetje.nl:9600/index.wml

well, I read TonyNo's remark about his router, I decided to have a go at it and change my networksetup because I use 2 routers, 1 as a router and 1 as bridge and switched both so R1 is now a bridge and R2 is now the router and ******* it worked (sorry for the cursing)....

Quote:

Even though you don't have an actual file named "index.wml" in the PowerHome web directory, it will serve up the default internal one. If you wish to override the default internal page, then create your own "index.wml" file in the webserver directory.

Well now I have something more to learn because I am a newbie regarding to WML so... and if I want to have the temperatures to be read in my wap-phone...... the firealarm will follow next!

x 1000 --> expresses my happyness because it works now!!!!

Peter
Back to Top View krommetje's Profile Search for other posts by krommetje Visit krommetje's Homepage

krommetje
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 02 2005 at 07:09 | IP Logged Quote krommetje

Small Update:

I have been playing around: I have a seperate file called temps.psp and is loaded correctly when I call the temperatures inside this file as <"{SENSOR00}"> from my wap-browser.... Al works fine now....

Peter

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 02 2005 at 09:34 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Good news, Peter!

krommetje
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 02 2005 at 10:04 | IP Logged Quote krommetje

TonyNo wrote:
Good news, Peter!

tell me TonyNo... how "in the name of beelsebup" did you get the idea to buy a new router... was dying the only reason?

Peter

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 02 2005 at 10:43 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Actually, I suspected the router several months ago, but, never acted upon it. It did die a few weeks ago, so, that prompted getting the new unit.

Tony

krommetje
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 13 2005 at 06:42 | IP Logged Quote krommetje

Is the WAP functionality changed in the beta 44?

Peter

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version