Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: More on Submacros Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 02 2008 at 22:58 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

Hi - so I have a macro that consists of 3 formulas..

ph_macroparm(macroname1,a1,b1,c1,d1,e1)
ph_macroparm(macroname2,a2,b2,c2,d2,e2)
ph_macroparm(macroname3,a3,b3,c3,d3,e3)

But wait, I don't want macro2 to start until macro1 is finished, and I don't want macro3 to start until macro2 is finished.

So I should use submacros, but I then have to recode line 1 like this

Set System [LOCAL1] a1
Set System [LOCAL5] e1
submacro macroname1

so each line expands to six lines.

This works fine. I'm just wondering if there's a less cumbersome way to code it.

Thanks!
/j
Back to Top View jeffw_00's Profile Search for other posts by jeffw_00

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 06 2008 at 14:46 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Jeff,

Im looking at some options to make this easier for the next version. In the meantime, the way you're doing it works, but could be made shorter (more compact) if thats what you want.

Since a "SubMacro" command accepts a single string parameter (the ID of the macro to call), you can actually pass a complete formula as long as it evaluates in the end to the ID of the submacro. Lets say the submacro ID is "SUBMACRO1" and you want to pass the following values in the first 5 local variables: 53, 21, "This is a test", "Windy", and 75. I could have all this on a single submacro command line with this formula:

Code:

"SUBMACRO1" + ph_rtne(ph_setvar_a(1,1,53) + ph_setvar_a(1,2,21) + ph_setvar_a(1,3,"This is a test") + ph_setvar_a(1,4,"Windy") + ph_setvar_a(1,5,75))

The entire formula is evaluated, which results in the LOCAL variables being set appropriately. These values should all equal 0 and are added together. The ph_rtne() function converts the 0 (or whatever the value) to an empty string which is concatenated to the ID of the submacro.

Obviously, if you have fewer parameters to pass, then this formula will be shorter.

Hope this helps,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: February 06 2008 at 14:58 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

thanks Dave - I'll have to decide if the compactness is the right tradeoff against the crypticity (8-}), but I was guessing there was a better way, and good to hear that there is.

If you're looking to improve this, I can't complain (though I wouldn't put it too high on the list). The way I would solve it would be with a ph_submacroparm() function which is just like ph_macroparm, except that the calling macro pends until the submacro completes.

Thanks!
/j

Edited by jeffw_00 - February 06 2008 at 14:59
Back to Top View jeffw_00's Profile Search for other posts by jeffw_00

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version