Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Frustrated Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ronbo404

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 11 2008 at 07:28 | IP Logged Quote ronbo404

Hi

I am new to Powerhome and have read about how poor the documentation is. I am not a total idot I have an engineering degree and have done some programming in the past. But how do you guys use this stuff? I had no problem entering devices and my controller ( and checked that I can command on and off ok) but that is as far as I can go. I usuually learn by samples ( as I did with my Pronto philips remote, also poor documentation but many sample files to learn from) Where do I learn the basics how do you add remotelincs, and keypadlincs and control them. how do you do a simple timer? how do you link devices? Not interest in formulas and macros yet?

Should I be using houselinc for these simple functions is it easier to use?

Thanks for any input
Regards
Ron
Back to Top View ronbo404's Profile Search for other posts by ronbo404

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 11 2008 at 07:47 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

You are where we all were many years ago.

Check the Quick Start document. Also, take a look at my (old) tutorial. It's X10, but shows the concepts.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

judetf

Posted: February 11 2008 at 07:50 | IP Logged Quote judetf

I'm too new to be qualified to answer your question, but as a fellow non-total-idiot (but no engineering degree), I can both commiserate and offer encouragement.

Documentation is lacking, as everyone fully acknowledges. That said, from having spent hours scouring the forums I can say that if you take the time to read Dave's posts carefully (and sometimes more than once when covering a "new" topic), you'll find your answers.

I can also say that if you truly get stuck on a specific issue, posting to the forum will generally return a result fairly quickly. I still have a lot to learn, but once I can make something work through my own trial-and-error, it serves as a much better sample than (for me) than something someone else might have posted.

Note that PH has also recently introduced a wiki. I haven't explored it much yet, but that offers a solution to this issue (not a fix for your current problem). I'd love to see Dave's posts (and others who are in-the-know and have solved discrete problems) turned into TOC-style entries on the various topics, so that finding them is simpler than guessing at the search string that will find them on the forum.

As for your specific questions: I found the existing documentation to be sufficient for adding devices; the Quick Start guide definitely explains how to do a simple timer; and linking devices... well, that's one where figuring it out at first took a bit of effort, but having done it once the basics became clear.

Just my $0.02 on the topic...
jtf
Back to Top View judetf's Profile Search for other posts by judetf

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: February 12 2008 at 10:55 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

I'm not sure I agree that documentation is a problem.

1) start with the quick start to get the hang of things.
2) use the reference manual if needed for non-insteon stuff
3) use the on-line help for insteon explorer
4) search or post here.

You can get quite far without the manual, and posting here produces quick responses.

enjoy PH
/j
Back to Top View jeffw_00's Profile Search for other posts by jeffw_00

cmhardwick

Posted: February 13 2008 at 08:44 | IP Logged Quote cmhardwick

Jeffw,

The point is, for lots of the questions new users post here, there should be no reason because it should be in a manual or the help files. Yes, the forum is a great resource, I've used it many times myself and contributed many times, however, for basic setup and getting started, you shouldn't have to go to a support forum.

I haven't looked at the Wiki either, but I believe Dave has been putting alot of his great answers there so they are easy to find.

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: February 13 2008 at 09:13 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

Cicero, I agree with you. The problem I had was there aren’t any simple examples of formula syntax. There are many gotchas that are not documented. Example, try and run a PH_X10BTN formula in the Macro/Formula drop down window. I’ve never been able to make it work. It is extremely difficult for a developer to write the fundamentals of his or her code. In the early days of Main Frames I was required to document 80% of my code so support staff could understand the logic behind it.

I spent some time on Dave’s Wiki and although it is another leaning curve in the long run may be an excellent vehicle to achieve better documentation.

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: February 13 2008 at 10:34 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

I think it's a matter of opinion. I got quite far (much further than I expected) before I had to ask questions here, and I felt that my questions were 'at the edges' rather than questions I would consider common.

/j
Back to Top View jeffw_00's Profile Search for other posts by jeffw_00

Gadgets

Posted: February 14 2008 at 21:37 | IP Logged Quote Gadgets

I agree with BeachBum when it comes to the docs. The way they are, is fine for reading about all the features and what they can do, but not clearly HOW to do it. Yes some people will get it, like yourself jeffw, but many won't. I often wonder how much lost business Dave has had because of it. Showing the formula syntax is one thing, but then offer an actual example. I've been building myself a "help" file with the fomulas I struggled with, my end results, and sometimes some notes about it so I can figure it out the next time. Eventually, I'm going to clean it up and add it to the wiki.

My advice for searching for help in the forums is to search for the actual function (ie. ph_devicecontrol, or ph_tts) usually I find someone has asked for help and some examples end up there. If that doesn't work I then try some keywords.

and if all that fails.. cry HEEEELP... the guys here are great!

ginigma

Posted: February 14 2008 at 22:36 | IP Logged Quote ginigma

Once you get the concepts down, a lot of the technical answers can be found in the forum. Usually Dave will jump in with a very comprehensive answer, and there are a few others who provide excellent info (Tony being one of them).

funbobbybaby69
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: June 26 2008 at 17:14 | IP Logged Quote funbobbybaby69

Any comments on my last post in this forum

http://www.myx10.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1306&PN=1

Edited by funbobbybaby69 - June 26 2008 at 17:16
Back to Top View funbobbybaby69's Profile Search for other posts by funbobbybaby69

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version