Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Recommendation Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
krisinky

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 24 2003 at 20:21 | IP Logged Quote krisinky

I have a very limited understanding of X10.  I am trying to determine if this software would be the best for me.  At this point, I want to automate my lighting and be able to detect and log entry into my house.  As I learn more, I may have some other things as well.  We are remodeling our house now and want to install the mechanisms in the doors that can send a signal back when the doors are opened/closed.    Basically, my question concerns the ease/difficulty of use of your software.  I am quite PC-literate so that part won't be a problem.   If your software isn't right for me, will you recommend something that is?  Thanks in advance. 

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 27 2003 at 20:16 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Dave usually answers posts pretty quickly. I'll chime in and say that PH is very powerful, so, it can get complicated (as with any product). PH can certainly do what you want, and, support is very good. Do you already have your hardware picked out?

Tony

Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

krisinky

Posted: May 27 2003 at 21:20 | IP Logged Quote krisinky

Thanks for the reply.  The only thing we have done is to run wires to each of the outside doors.  There are small magnets that are in the door frame and the door to make the connection.  That is all so far.   Recommendations would be very much appreciated - for smoke alarms, entry alarms, as well as conveniences such as turning on/off lighting.   In reading all of the posts as well as articles on the internet, it seems the possibilities are unlimited.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 28 2003 at 00:13 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

You will be sensing if the doors are open or closed? You could take it a step further and use electronic latches to lock/unlock the doors, too! Well, that may be a bit much.  If you want that, 4 wires would be required (22 gauge should be fine).

For hardware, you'll want to look at a few sites. I suggest these (they have security as well as automation components)...

http://www.worthdist.com/  Best prices, so I keep hearing.

http://www.asihome.net/  OK prices.

http://www.smarthome.com/  OK prices.

http://www.x10.com/products/products.htm  Better have a Popup blocker!

For connecting sensors, one way is to use an X-10 PowerFlash module; it only handles one input, though. There are other products (and ways) to handle more than one input per device.

You'll also need to decide what end of the spectrum you are in: high, mid, or, low-end (i.e. from color touch screens in every room, to a few remotes around the house). Also, remember that X-10 is not perfect; delays and lost commands can and will happen, but, can be minimized.

Tony

Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 28 2003 at 08:53 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Kris,

Sorry for the late response but the lady and I were on vacation in the keys .

Tony, thanks for filling in...what took you so long .

Kris, as far as hardware is concerned, your best bet is probably going to be an Ocelot with one or more SECU-16 modules.  The Ocelot is able to send and receive both X-10  as well as Infrared and has the capability to interface with digital input/output modules via an RS-485 network.  You can review or purchase this hardware from a couple of the sites that Tony listed.  You could also do it with just X-10 using a Universal module to sense the reed switches in the door as Tony suggested, but that might start to be cost prohibitive.

As far as software is concerned...PowerHome should have no problem handling anything you can throw at it.  You would probably need to get your hands a little dirty however with some simple programming.  Especially if you decide upon an Ocelot.  The Ocelot itself is a stand-alone controller capable of being programmed using its own language.  Most of the people using one like to combine the internal programming of the Ocelot with PowerHome so that they work together sharing the processing of information.

Since your application is somewhat specialized beyond just standard lighting control, I would first decide upon the hardware you'll need.  Then, try the free demos of the various software to see which you like best.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version