Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Ramblings from the PowerHome Front Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: August 16 2003 at 12:15 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

PowerHome has grown to the point where I can no longer fully test every new feature and verify that all the old features are still functional by myself or with my couple of testers.  Because of this I will start to officially release public beta versions prior to the release version.

What does this mean?  Access to the latest PowerHome code and features.  But I don't think it will be for everyone.  There won't be any form of install like the release version, and you'll probably want to keep your existing release version install intact, possibly maintaining two systems.  Documentation won't be complete and will probably be just enough as a means of testing.  As with any beta software, it may be buggy, but thats what will lead me to creating stable release versions

Let me know if you're interested in being a beta tester.  The beta versions will be open for download by anyone, but I would like to get an idea of how many are actually interested.

Look for the first beta to be released in the next week or so!!

Once again, all feedback is welcome.

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: August 16 2003 at 21:18 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Well, now that I don't have to run down to the basement to maintain my PH system, I'd be up for it!

Do you have any more info on what it would take to test (i.e. would installing it into a different directory be all that is required, and, maybe copying files from the current install to the beta)?

Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: August 17 2003 at 22:50 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

Dave,

Would love to participate, been hacking since the 8088 days and am one of those people who only read instructions as a last resort :)...

SA

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 17 2003 at 23:41 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

Yes, you'd want to install to a different subdirectory, copy the existing database file to the new directory structure, run the database upgrade util.  It wont be too involved .

Steve and Tony,

Thats great.  Ive been reluctant to do this in the past because I figured it would be a maintenance nightmare, but now I think it will really help development because Im having a difficult time testing everything in a real-life environment.  Im able to test the devices and features I use just fine, but some of the feature requests I add aren't necessarily something that I could really "torture test" myself.

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 04 2003 at 13:50 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Any new developments with this?
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 04 2003 at 22:03 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Yep, it will definately be out this weekend.  The beta is all together and compiled.  The last thing Im working on is the database upgrade utility.  It should have plenty of features to keep everyone happy .

Dave.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 04 2003 at 22:46 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Whee!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version