Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Insteon All Off / All On Commands Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ronbo404

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 14 2008 at 07:46 | IP Logged Quote ronbo404

Hi Newbie here

Is this possible and if so how

1) Can you limit which devices respond to all-off and all-on command on a remotelinc and or a keypad linc

2) Can the all-on and all-off command on the remote link be changed to a desired ramp rate rather than fast on fast off

Thanks
Ron
Back to Top View ronbo404's Profile Search for other posts by ronbo404

cmhardwick

Posted: February 14 2008 at 10:01 | IP Logged Quote cmhardwick

for both, (and this would involve more than what I'm saying here), it is possible. I never use the insteon default 255 group (which is the all devices group). I created my own because I wanted a group of JUST LIGHTS and wanted them to fade out, like you are asking about in question 2. You should be able to create a trigger of some sort to catch the all off button (should be a group 255 fast off or fast on) and basically reroute it. At least that's how it should work.
KeypadLincs don't have an all off/all on button unless you create one. ControlLincs do (the big desktop devices). HOwever, this all off/all on is a mis-nomer as it only controls all devices linked to the controller, not all devices in the house. I'm not sure, but would expect the all off/on buttons on the remotelinc to behave the same way, only controlling the devices linked to it, not every device on the network.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 19 2008 at 10:47 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Ron,

1. No...the All On and All Off in Insteon is using a special group number of 255. This will send a broadcast command to group 255 and ANY device linked to the controller (any button) will respond to the command. If a device isnt linked to the controller (the device sending the all on/off), then the device won't respond. RemoteLincs and ControLincs have All on/off (as well as PLC by sending to group 255) but KPL's do not.

2. No...Insteon is setup to only respond to all on/off with fast on and fast off commands. Presumably, since a device may have multiple links from the same controller with varying ramprates and levels, Insteon wouldnt know which one to use so you only get the fast on/off.

Of course, the above only applies to a pure Insteon solution. As Cicero suggested, you could use PowerHome and triggers to achieve most any desired effect.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version