Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Using Lego IR Transceiver W/ PH? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
tahnok100

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 10 2004 at 03:26 | IP Logged Quote tahnok100

Yes, you read right. A Lego IR Transceiver. I was getting ready to build a CIR when I stumbled upon this unit laying around and started wondering if it can be used with PH. You can see the piece taken apart along with the most technical specs I could find at this link color=#800080 http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/ . You have to scroll down a bit to see the portion devoted to the IR.

Would it be possible to use this with PH? If not, it may be something to look into, as they are readily available and fairly cheap.

Back to Top View tahnok100's Profile Search for other posts by tahnok100

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 10 2004 at 22:10 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

After looking at the link provided, it appears that the IR transceiver is interfaced with the serial port and as such is meant to send and receive commands from a PC wirelessly.  These types of signals would not be compatible with the IR which is associated with the control electronic equipment. 

Most consumer IR is of a pulse width modulation nature with a carrier frequency around 38Khz.  The type of IR used in serial communications is typically of an IRDA nature with the two being incompatible .

Sorry,

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version