Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Remote - VR <or> Gyration Setups Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 04 2004 at 07:47 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

Looking for any feedback on an efficient way to control PH from multiple rooms. I'm currently  using a Gryation mouse via TV sets, using the A/B input selector for desired TV/PH screen. Works great but the limitation of having one pointing device is pretty weak, mouse is never by the computer when I need it  Anybody tried VR with wireless mikes and an audio input mixer, or have some slick setup they would like to share?

Thanks!

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 04 2004 at 08:21 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

You can have multiple Gyration mice (that gets expensive). I also had both of my Gyration devices fail (keyboard and mouse). I'm still waiting on a response from Gyration.

I've been using multiple PalmPads, stick-a-switches, and a keychain remote when I'm not in my living room. Works very well when configured correctly.

I've heard of people using bluetooth mic's. Only thought about trying it at this point.

Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: February 04 2004 at 08:51 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

P.S.

Way past the point of no return on just using a palm pad... Monitoring ten X-10 cams + lights, macro's Ect. Posted a few screen shots of what shows up on the TV sets.

ftp://speclake.com/pub/73553_42.jpg

ftp://speclake.com/pub/73646_42.jpg

ftp://speclake.com/pub/73759_42.jpg

Thanks again...

SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: February 04 2004 at 08:58 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

Thanks Tony....

Had one problem w/Gryration messing up RF signals to WF800-32. Other than that so far it's been O.K.

SA

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 04 2004 at 09:50 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Steve,

Appreciate the photos...always like seeing what people have done with PowerHome.

Seeing what you've done, the multiple Gyration mice almost seem the way to go.  Or at least have one with a belt clip that you always carry with you .

Ive got a Radio Shack wireless mike in my setup.  Its rather bulky...being a handheld mike.  Im using a Radio Shack portable scanner tuned to the Mike's frequency hooked up with the earphone out cabled directly to the mic in of my sound card.  With PowerHome's ability to change and limit the grammars on the fly, it somewhat works.  It can be frustrating, especially if there is any background noise.  Also frustrating trying to get the grammars "tuned".  You cant have your grammar with a lot of single syllable words such as "up", "down", etc. because it will get confused.  Im looking into trying a Voicetracker array microphone for the living room.  Anyways, with the wireless mic, you'd have to carry that around with you all the time.

One of the things Im getting ready to play with is an "Audrey" touchscreen internet appliance.  Im getting one for the living room (waiting for it to arrive) and will be playing with controlling PowerHome using it.  It I like it, I will probably get more for each room.

One suggestion concerning the viewing of PowerHome on the TV's.  Not sure exactly how you are doing it but you made mention of A/B switching.  In my setup, I use a video modulator from ChannelPlus.  Ive got a couple of them so Im able to modulate 8 of my own channels...Wired Cameras, Wireless Cameras, DSS, DVD, video output of the computer, etc.  This way, Im able to view different outputs on the remote TV's by just changing the channel.  They're not cheap however.

Let us know what you come up with,

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: February 04 2004 at 10:41 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

Hi Dave...

Used a 'Avermedia' video converter to go from the computer video signal to TV coax, then connected that to what would normally be the antenna input of my DDS boxes (also works using the VCR's ant. input). When on 'A' channel of the DDS I get TV, 'B' gives me the computer screen. When motion sensors trigger I use PH to set the appropriate camera, pop itself up set to the security tab (which gives me my buttons) and then overlay the video image on the monitor by setting the Z order. Combinded with my RedRat switching the A-B I can have PH optionally 'pre-empt' TV when motion is detected.

Sounds like VR may not be the avenue to pursue, have tried it in the livingroom with the same results as you've had. Thought maybe it was because of a cheap mike I was using. Sounds like the touchscreen would be the hot setup. Do they use RF?

Thanks... SA

SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: February 04 2004 at 10:45 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

Hi Dave...

Used a 'Avermedia' video converter to go from the computer video signal to TV coax, then connected that to what would normally be the antenna input of my DDS boxes (also works using the VCR's ant. input). When on 'A' channel of the DDS I get TV, 'B' gives me the computer screen. When motion sensors trigger I use PH to set the appropriate camera, pop itself up set to the security tab (which gives me my buttons) and then overlay the video image on the monitor by setting the Z order. Combinded with my RedRat switching the A-B I can have PH optionally 'pre-empt' TV when motion is detected.

Sounds like VR may not be the avenue to pursue, have tried it in the livingroom with the same results as you've had. Thought maybe it was because of a cheap mike I was using. Sounds like the touchscreen would be the hot setup. Do they use RF? Also going to try and use my wired mouse on the computer and the Gyration as a remote. Thought having two mice would tilt windows so never tried it.

Thanks... SA

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 04 2004 at 12:49 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Maybe a lower-cost IR or RF remote is the solution. There are benefits to both of these (wired IR distribution, or, the WGL). Think of the system working like MS's Media Center OS with a remote. I have an old X-10 remote with RF that I was going to play with to test this out. These remotes should be much less expensive than the Gyration.

Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 04 2004 at 17:43 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Steve,

Sounds as if the 'Avermedia' is essentially an RF modulator doing the same thing Im doing.  It sounds pretty neat the way you've got your setup going.

Yes, Im a little disappointed with the VR.  Im still holding out hope though that a decent microphone such as the Voicetracker and some tuning of my grammars will get me decent recognition in the living room.

Tony,

Im with you.  I use the palm pad extensively in my setup.  It essentially controls EVERYTHING!!  Ive got some creative macros going which is testing the first X-10 received and then optionally "locking" into a certain mode until the "dim" key is pressed or until 30 seconds after the last X-10 received.  Other "commands" rely on a combination of two or more X-10 commands to perform a desired option.  The biggest headache here is remembering what everything does.

Another option that I'll be playing with shortly is using my WI-FI enabled IPAQ to get a little portable touchscreen access to my PowerHome system.  I'll initially start with some web pages designed just for the IPAQ's screen size but will also be looking into a dedicated client for the Ipaq.

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 04 2004 at 17:46 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Steve,

Forgot to mention...the Audrey is not out of the box wireless capable.  They come with a built in 56K modem (yuck) but are also capable of broadband connection through a 3Com USB ethernet adaptor which is included with the one I ordered.  I also wanted to go wireless but figured what was the point if I had to at least have a wire for power.  Still, I can see the advantage if you don't have an ethernet jack in the location you plan to use it.  There are aftermarket modifications that will allow you to use the device wireless however.

Dave.

SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: February 05 2004 at 05:24 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

Ahhh ha, light bulb came on. Thanks gentlemen,

So...... I should be able to use a palm pad as a mouse?

1. Use a dedicated X10 house code for the 'mouse' pads so they are independant of other devices.

2. Press any key on the pad and a PH 'any input' trigger has the RedRat set the video input on the TV system to channel "B" (TV's monitoring the computer video). (Option is use the standard device remote but why pick that up if I don't have to :) ).

3. Use ph_setwindowstate() to bring PH to the front of the Z order.

4. Use the bright/dim buttons and ph_ccsettab() function to scroll to the desired ph tab which would display an instruction/option set.

5. Utilze ph_ccgettab() value to branch incoming pad triggers to the corresponding functions for that tab.

For clarity I could use 16 colors in the tab page buttons and markup the pad's key's acccordingly.

Now, to confuse things. Seeing that I would no longer be using the page buttons for input, using html pages would be visually nicer. Is there a way to have a 'closed loop' when I'm doing my branching and know for certain which html page is being displayed? (Aka: a ph_ccgettab() clone for web pages) 

Thanks again for the input, SA

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 05 2004 at 08:43 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

That's not what I do. I don't think that's what Dave meant. I do think you are on to something very cool, though!

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 05 2004 at 09:49 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Steve,

Tony's correct...that not what I do but I think you've got a great idea there!!

Its similar in that I am usually pressing combinations of two buttons to perform a single action (16 * 16 gives me 256 possible actions) and using the first button press to determine what is actually done for the second button press.  In your situation though, you would be using the current tab to determine what your button press actually triggers...very cool.

As far as the web pages go...there is currently no equivalents to the ph_ccgettab() function.  I can also think of no way to really provide it for the web since the web has the concept of multiple users hitting multiple Control Centers with each user being able to view any tab independently of the other.  In the PowerHome client, there can only ever be one instance of the Control Center open at a time.  Im trying to think of a way that it could be done with a global variable but even that has no notification or way to trigger when a web user changes a CC tab.

If you have any ideas or thoughts of something I can add to help, please let me know .  In any event, it sounds like you're onto a new way of controlling things and I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out.

Dave.

SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: February 15 2004 at 12:45 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

Dave, Tony....

Ended up 're-mapping' p-pad inputs, works sweet Only limit I guess would be the number of CC-Tabs one wants to map. I utilized buttons 1-8 along with the bright/dim. Did a huge cc-tab background of a palm pad so it shows up on a small (6") tv which I dedicated as always on in the bedroom, the other rooms in the house toggle the display using 'A/B' switch. Only catch was trying to nest a PH_function within a PH_function, other wise the branching could have been shorter. I also limited the tab scrolling to just my first three tabs cause at this point it's all I need for multiple remotes. Tabs also serve a double function, can use buttons at the console along with the pads remote inputs. Posting screen shots of the workings for anybody interested....

Steve

ftp://speclake.com/pub/Interior tab.jpg

ftp://speclake.com/pub/Camera tab.jpg

ftp://speclake.com/pub/Tab forward.jpg

ftp://speclake.com/pub/Triggers.jpg

ftp://speclake.com/pub/Triggered.jpg

Back to Top View SteveA's Profile Search for other posts by SteveA Visit SteveA's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 15 2004 at 16:50 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Nice going, Steve! I'll have to digest this now...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version