Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: RedRat3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 21 2004 at 15:05 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

Hi Dave...

Recently received a new RR3 to replace my RR2 and can't get PH to see it  (PH Ver 1.03.3 DB Ver 1.03.2, Op.Sys. Win XP Pro). 

1. Tested  RR3 using the software that came with the unit (test rat and signal DB utility). It works fine.

2. Select RedRat 3 on the PH setup unit 1 IR page, the only selection in the pull down for port is  'none'. (I assume USB doesn't need a port selected?).

3. Tried both reinitialize and cold restarts and keep getting the following error.

A critical error has occurred.Error Number: 35Error Message: Error calling external object function connect at line 7 in function f_controllerconnect of object uo_controller_redrat3.Window: uo_controller_redrat3Object: uo_controller_redrat3Event: f_controllerconnectLine: 7

Looked thru the forums and documentation for a clue but remain clueless...

Thanks,

SA

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 21 2004 at 17:49 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Steve,

There will be several things that we can try. 

If you havent already done it, download and install the RedRat3 Runtime Interface (this will contain the COM interface for the RedRat3 that PowerHome uses since we can't use the .NET interface).  You can find the file here: http://www.redrat.co.uk/SDK/RedRat_Runtime_1.11.zip.  This may be all were missing but the next thing we need to do is locate the file phrr3.ocx.  It should be in the PowerHome directory but may be in the system directory (Im not at my devel machine so cant check to be sure).  Once located, go to Start->run and type regsvr32 "c:\whatever_the_path_to_the_file_is\phrr3.ocx".  This will make sure that the RedRat3 OCX is properly registered.  Do this after the RR3 Runtime is installed.  Reboot and lets see where that gets us.

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: March 21 2004 at 19:32 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

Dave...

Downloaded and executed rr runtime 1.11.zip, ran registration of phrr3.ocx from ph directory with 'registration success' returned, still same error from ph. Noticed in the control manager under 'infrared remote control IO - redrat3 - properties'  it says 'location 0 (redrat3)'. Not sure if that helps any.

Thanks, SA

SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: March 21 2004 at 19:49 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

Dave...

P.S. By the way, I've never ever had such great support with software. Started about four generations of PH ago and have upgraded with no charges, doesn't feel fair. Don't think anybody who appreciates the work involved on your part would complain....

:) kudos.... SA

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 21 2004 at 21:07 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Steve,

Thanks for the kind words...I really appreciate them.

Well...the next thing to try would be the VB6 runtime.  This should have been installed with the PowerHome Runtime environment, but is possible that it didnt work.  You can download and install the VB6 runtime from here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb60pro/install/6/Win98Me/EN-US/VBRun60.exe

If that doesnt do it, I'll whip up a little diagnostic utility that should help us pinpoint the problem.

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 22 2004 at 14:00 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Steve,

Ok, Ive been working through this problem and was able to duplicate it.  It appears that the RedRat3 Runtime does not have all the necessary files (go figure).  I was able to solve the problem when I installed the RedRat3 SDK.  You can download and install it from here: http://www.redrat.co.uk/SDK/RedRat_SDK_1.11.zip

Let me know if this solves your problem or not.

Good Luck,

Dave.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 23 2004 at 13:50 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Steve,

Just curious if the RR3 is up and working yet.

Let me know,

Dave.

SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 03 2004 at 13:51 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

Hi Dave...

Sorry about the delayed response. Downloaded and installed the SDK, that did the trick! RR3 has a new home.

Thanks, SA

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 08 2004 at 10:18 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Awesome Steve!!!

You had me worried when I didnt hear from you .

You'll also want to check out the RedRat3 section in the pwrhome.ini file.  The default settings are:

[RedRat3]
SaveDecodeInfo=yes
EnableRC=no
SaveSignalType=0
LengthMeasurementDelta=200
ModFreqPeriodsToMeasure=2
EndOfSignalTimeout=150

The "SaveDecodeInfo" setting determines whether PowerHome saves an incoming IR remote control string when a code is learned.  If you want PowerHome to fire triggers when IR is received, you'll need to have this turned on and relearn any IR codes.

The "EnableRC" parameter determines whether PowerHome will listen for incoming IR signals from the RedRat3 and will fire an appropriate trigger if a match is found.  If you're not using this feature, then you should leave it off since the RR3 could generate a lot of signals in response to noise (flourescents, sunlight, etc.)

The "SaveSignalType" parameter determines the format PowerHome will save learned IR signals from the RR3.  A '0' value will cause PowerHome to save the signal in the native RR3 XML format.  This would be the most compatible.  A value of '1' will have PowerHome save the code in Pronto format.  A value of '2' will have PowerHome save the learned IR in the original RedRat2 format.

The remaining three parameters deal with the RR3 directly and an explanation of their purpose can best be found in the RR3 SDK documentation.  My defaults are different from the RR3 defaults and seem to be what worked best during experimentation using a number of remotes that I have at my disposal.

As you may have found out by now, I added extra code to PowerHome to enable the RR3 to play and save original RR2 codes.  In addition, I allowed for the playing and saving of Pronto style codes so you can go to places like remotecentral.com and just download codes without having to learn them.

Dave.

jcruce

Posted: September 17 2004 at 08:55 | IP Logged Quote jcruce

Dave -

I am having the same problem, error in f_controllerconnect line 7. I tried everything you suggested above, and even went so far as to uninstall everything and start fresh using older (1.11) versions of RR software since those seemed to work for Steve. No dice. I'm trying to install on a Win98 system. Any more suggestions up your sleeve?

Great-looking program, BTW. Sure hope it works for us. We're trying to automate a home for a person who has Cerebral Palsy and uses the computer by clicking a switch beside his chin. Independence, here we come!

Thanks!
JoC
Back to Top View jcruce's Profile Search for other posts by jcruce

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 22 2004 at 12:37 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

For people that were following this message:

Jon's problem was cleared up through email.

Jon,
I understand that your input options are rather limited for control. I had another user who set PowerHome up for his quadreplegic son and had basically wired a "sip and draw" switch to the mouse so that he could control PowerHome by either drawing or blowing on a tube connected to the switch.

He used what I thought was a rather unique method with the Control Center where he would have a series of buttons that would sequentially change from their normal color to a highlighted color. Activate the switch when the desired action is highlighted to achieve control.

Dave.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version