Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: IR Automation Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
vintagewine39

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 26 2004 at 15:24 | IP Logged Quote vintagewine39

Help out a newbie!

Folks, I need your help. I recently downloaded the software (have had it for 4 days) and I like it alot. So far everything looks great and I've been able to start writing macros, etc.

I'm just about ready to purchase, but still have one major issue to overcome. Can someone please tell me how I can automate my IR stuff? Specifically, will someone please tell me exactly what I need to buy?

Here's what I want to do. I would like to control all my home theater equipment along with my X10 stuff. I have about 10 pieces of gear I would like to control. From my reading I think I need an Ocelot to control the IR stuff and an IR block to feed the individual emiters going to each device. However, I'm not certain I can connect the Ocelot to an IR block. If someone has a better way to do it...please help me out. I'm not tied to any one piece of gear except that I would love to use PowerHome to control my Home Automation project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 26 2004 at 17:12 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Gil,

Welcome to PowerHome, glad to have you aboard.

If you're interested in zoned IR control where you have individual emitters going to each piece of equipment, you would have to get an Ocelot since it's the only device supported by PowerHome with zoned capabilities.  This setup would also require a SECU-16IR for 16 separate zones.

Now if you wanted separate emitters going to each of your components and don't mind any IR commands going to all the emitters, then you should be able to get by with just the Ocelot feeding an IR block.  The RedRat2 and RedRat3 don't have jacks on them for feeding IR blocks, but you could achieve this by pointing either of them at one of those IR pyramids and then using the jack off of it.  I would probably lean towards just using an Ocelot.

Let me know if this answers your question or not.

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

vintagewine39

Posted: March 26 2004 at 23:34 | IP Logged Quote vintagewine39

Dave,

Thank you so much for the spedy reply. Based on your answer, I'll be ordering PowerHome as soon as I get home on Sat. (Currently on a business trip).

While I understood your answer well, please clarify something for me regarding the SECU-16IR. Is the term "Zone" not used to indicate that 16 separate devices can be controled vs. switching from 16 physical zones, e.g., home theather, kitchen, living room, etc. If I understood this correctly, then what is the difference between the SECU-16IR and an IR block. Aren't they basically the same thing. Also how would I connect an IR block directly to the Ocelot. This is part of my confusion. Do I connect it via the CommA and CommB inputs?

Once again, thanks for your help. I look forward to sending you folks payment for an outstanding product.

Gil

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 29 2004 at 09:56 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Gil,

The SECU-16IR allows for 16 independent zones.  In other words, you can send an IR command to just a single zone without it going to any other zones.  You can also send the same command to ALL zones.  This arrangement works nicely if you have a couple pieces of equipment that respond to the same IR commands and you wish to control them independently.  An IR block on the other hand has no capability of sending commands to indivudual zones and instead is basically a splitter...at least thats my understanding.

The Ocelot has a single IR emitter jack.  Depending upon the input required by the IR block you would be using, you should be able to buy a cable with a 1/8" mono plug to go from the Ocelot to your IR block.  I have never tried this myself and have no experience with using IR blocks...this info is based upon what Ive read.  You may also want to ask your question on the Ocelot user forum.  You can get to from here: http://www.appdigsupport.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.  If you go with the IR block, I would be interested in knowing what it took.

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

vintagewine39

Posted: March 29 2004 at 19:16 | IP Logged Quote vintagewine39

Dave,

Once again, thanks for your help. I'll give the Ocelot user forum a try and will let you know what I decide to do. Given that prices of IR Blocks are relatively inexpensive for small ones, I might just give a try first to get my feet wet. In any case, I'll keep you posted.

By the way, it's time for me to buy the software....I'm a believer.

Gil

vintagewine39

Posted: March 31 2004 at 15:06 | IP Logged Quote vintagewine39

Dave,

I have an update for you regarding the use of a Xantech IR Block. Thanks for pointing to the Ocelot support forum. After doing some research and checking with some folks there, here is what I've come up with.

1. It is possible (and easy) to use the Ocelot with an IR block. There are several options, but the two easy ones are as follows:

a) Use an "IR Linc" cable to connect the Ocelot to the Xantech IR Block. You can get the cable from SmartHome for about $20. This cable provides the opto-isolation needed to connect the two devices. According the folks who are using this technique, there are absolutely no issues with doing this.

b) Create a small amplifier circuit and connect the two devices directly. The cost of the parts is less than $15. If you're interested look-up the thread at the Ocelot support forum - Ocelot to Xantech. Very informative thread. The circuit is basically is a couple of resistors, two transistors and diode. It steps up the voltage from 5v (Ocelot) to 12V (Xantech IR block). Looks like its very easy. I'm going to build one.

In the same thread from above - Ocelot to Xantech, I also fould a very similar circuit that creates an IR-Blaster for the Ocelot. The circuit is very similar to the one in above, except that you also add a high-power IR Led. I'm also going to build one of these and play with it. Cost is the same, around $15.

So, where do I go from here. Well, I've decided to purchase both the Ocelot and SEC-16IR and get my feet wet controlling my equipment, e.g., macros, trigers, etc. I'm also going to purchase a Xantech IR Block and build the two circuits to play with. In the end, I'm going to end up using all this stuff anyways.

Dave, once again... Thanks for the help you gave me. I think you've created a monster cause I'm hooked. Been doing a lot reading the last few days and have really gotten the automation bug.

By the way, I purchased PowerHome. Great product.

Gil

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 31 2004 at 18:20 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Gil,

I appreciate the update.  I didn't realize that the output of the Ocelot was not enough to directly drive an emitter block.  I'll check out the thread and copy for future reference.

I don't think you'll go wrong with the Ocelot and the SECU-16IR.  I havent had a chance to hook mine up yet but look forward to doing so.  In my situation, Im using one of those pyramid devices to blast the equipment and someone is always walking in the way when a long macro is firing.  I'll also be able to hook up my second Sony DSS unit and won't have to worry about IR commands for unit 1 going to unit 2.

As you expand in your automation, you'll also be able to include other Ocelot modules such as the SECU-16 for digital inputs and outputs.

Let me know if you have any questions...I'll be glad to help.  Also...many thanks for the purchase.

Dave.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version