Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: not working Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hscehome

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 24 2004 at 13:27 | IP Logged Quote hscehome

Hi,

I have installed adimmer switch (XPDI3) for testing in my home and set the address on the dimmer to A1 I have added it to the X10 house codes and the buttons appear in the control center. I am using the Ocelot to control it, but there is nothing happening with it. Can somebody give me some hints...thanks in advance.

Back to Top View hscehome's Profile Search for other posts by hscehome

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 24 2004 at 13:46 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

The first thing I would do is verify that you are properly communicating with your Ocelot.  Go to the Help->About menu and click on the Controllers tab.  Verify that the Ocelot is showing up as an X-10 Controller.

Next, I would try using the internal Palm Pad control under Control->Palm Pad.  Verifiy that the palm pad is on the correct controller and housecode and then try sending your commands.

If you have a transceiver module (TM751 or RR501) and an RF controller, I would also verify that the Ocelot is properly receiving X-10 commands from the Powerline as well as try sending the A1 on/off commands from the RF controller and verify the proper working of your dimmer.

Let us know how it goes.

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

hscehome

Posted: June 06 2004 at 14:17 | IP Logged Quote hscehome

Hi Dave,

I have it up and running after some troubleshooting. Now I have 2 RCS HVAC Units and an IRRMaster. I am trying to use macros to control the IRRmaster thru the timed events module.  Do you have any suggestions. I saw the way the HVAC was handled in the sample database. I dont quite understand it yet. Is there some guidelines or a explanation available.

Back to Top View hscehome's Profile Search for other posts by hscehome

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: June 08 2004 at 15:34 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

I had to look up on the web what an IRRMaster was .

Anyways, controlling the IRRMaster should be relatively easy using PowerHome since it just uses standard X-10 commands.  You would just need to have a dedicated housecode for your unit.  You could then develop macros to send the appropriate on and off commands.  Im not sure how you want to control your sprinklers but if you gave me some details of what you are trying to do and the housecode you're using for the IRRMaster, I should be able to give you some better ideas.  The main thing to remember is that to control X-10, it takes two commands...first an address and then a function.  So to control X-10 from within a macro such as A5 On, will take two macros lines.  The first line sends housecode A, unitcode 1 and the second line sends housecode A, command ON.

As far as the RCS HVAC units are concerned, they can be configured to use either standard or preset dim commands and have a various parameters such as "echo" that can be set.  Depending upon how you have your RCS thermostats configured will determine how you need to talk to it.  An example from my own setup is below:

ph_x10(1,"C",4,0) + ph_x10(1,"PRESET DIM",303,0)

In the above formula, I have used the ph_x10 function instead of macro commands.  I could do the same in macros if I wanted to as well.  Again, a complete X-10 sequence takes two commands.  The first ph_x10 function addresses housecode C, unitcode 4.  Housecode C is the housecode that Ive dedicated to my RCS thermostat.  By looking at the RCS extended protocol, you can see that you have to send preset dim commands to unitcode 4 if you want to set the state of the HVAC (cool, heat, auto, off).  The second X-10 command is a preset dim command.  In this case, Im using preset dim number 3.  The preset dim X-10 command is different from other X-10 commands in that it doesnt have a housecode as part of the command.  Instead, the preset dim level 1 - 32 occupies the housecode portion of the command.  If you wanted to use the X-10 commands within a macro, you should be able to build it in the same way.  In any event, the above command tells my RCS unit to go to "COOL" mode.

In the next command, I tell my RCS to set the setpoint to 78 degrees:

ph_x10(1,"C",3,0) + ph_x10(1,"PRESET DIM",311,0)

Again, checking the RCS extended protocol documentation, we see that to change the setpoint of the unit (at least in the range that Im wanting to, specifically 78), we have to send a preset dim command to unit 3.  So my first X-10 command addresses C3 and the next command is a preset dim 11.  This will set the RCS setpoint to 78 degrees.  If I wanted 79 degrees, I just would have changed the preset dim command to level 12 (changed the 311 to 312 in the above formula).

I realize that this all has to be a little confusing if you're not currently familiar with it.  If you have any specifics that you need help with, don't hesitate to ask and I'll try to help you piece it together.

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version