Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: questions on usb-uirt Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
npavkov
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 16 2004 at 09:49 | IP Logged Quote npavkov

Dave, I am interested in the new USB-Uirt capability. But I have a few questions......

- What kind of range does the new device have.. IE: does it need to be in same room with TV,VCR, etc? Would I be able to use this device to (for example) set up a schedule on powerrhome, for my VCR to record my fav shows? (Dates Times, And channels).

- how is the next version of powerhome coming, and when will you release it (ETA?)

Thanks again Dave, your help is always appreciated.......

Back to Top View npavkov's Profile Search for other posts by npavkov

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 19 2004 at 19:10 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Nick,

The range seems to be pretty good.  In my testing, I was able to control equipment from about 20 feet away which is the furthest I was able to physically set up.

You would still need to have line of sight in order for it to work however.  You could work around the limitation of the actual USB-Uirt being in the same room by using IR repeaters such as those sold by X10.com.

Yep, you should be able to create a macro and set it up in a timed event to control your VCR no problem.

Im putting the finishing touches on the next version.  Just trying to squeeze in the last few bug fixes...all major code changes are frozen.  There were some significant changes to the Control Center however and Im still beta testing these and squashing little bugs.  I also have to update the manual to reflect the changes.  Since this always takes me the longest, Im probably looking at about two weeks.

If there is enough interest, I may release this as a beta without documentation and we might get it a week sooner.

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 17 2005 at 15:12 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Dave,

Does the current beta support the three zones? I see Zone as a field, but, have no way to check this (yet).

Thanks,
Tony
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:47 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

Ive coded the USB-UIRT module to support it, but have not been able to test since my USB-UIRT is too old for multi-zone support.

Looking at my code, it's supported in two ways. The first method would be to just insert the "Z" followed by the zone (1 to 3) followed by the code. PowerHome should allow this to pass.

The second method would be to open the pwrhome.ini file and go to the [USB-UIRT] section and set "enablemultizone" to "yes". Then place the zone (1 to 3) in the "Zone" field in the Equipment screen. PowerHome will then automatically place the appropriate "Z" zone number before the code.

HTH,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 17 2005 at 20:06 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Thanks, Dave. Did you code for an "All" zone, or, would that just be no "Zn" in front of the code?

Tony
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 18 2005 at 14:32 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Thats a good question Tony. Im not sure what the USB-UIRT will do. I checked the code again and if multizone is enabled and the zone is from 1 to 3, then the "Z" will be added. If you had a 0 in the zone, then no "Z" is added. However, Im not sure what the USB-UIRT will do at that point. If no "Z" exists, does it send the IR to all three zones or does it send it to just the "main" zone.

Dave.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 18 2005 at 19:20 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

OK, I just ran a test and it works as I thought: No Z=all, Z1 = Zone 1, Z2=Zone 2, Z3=Zone 3.

I did not enable Multizone in the ini file, I just added the Z's.

I tested it per the suggestion on the USB-UIRT site: headphones plugged into the jack.

Tony

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 19 2005 at 09:23 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Excellent. So how do you like IR control so far?

Dave.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 19 2005 at 13:26 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I love it! My head is swimming with possibilities, though.

I am, however, disappointed in how my component setup does not lend itself to getting away with only one Powermid in my living room. I need one aimed at the A/V gear, and another for the blinds. It seems that the built-in emitter is bypassed when you plug an external emitter in.

I read about a good trick on another forum: have the system bring the lights up when it sees the DVD player paused, then, bring them down again when play is pressed! Beautifully simple! I do, though, need another set of Powermids to do this. They should go both ways!

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 23 2005 at 14:44 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I just had a thought...

If I add another set of Powermids to grab IR commands from the living room, will the signal bounce back and forth like light between two mirrors?!

Scenario: I add a transmitter to my living room, the commands originating there will be sent to the receiver downstairs, and on to the USB-UIRT, but, that signal will likely be picked up by the transmitter downstairs, and then get retransmitted back to the living room, which will be picked up by the transmitter there, and the cycle would repeat!

Argh! Someone tell me this won't happen!

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 23 2005 at 21:01 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Hmmm...an interesting question. Chances are that it wouldnt keep repeating, but would probably definately cause problems. In my own situation, I have multiple receivers (the unit that repeats the signal) and only one transmitter (the unit that picks up IR from my Ocelot). The receivers are placed in multiple rooms to transmit to TV's and such. I never use IR remotes...instead I use palm pads and PowerHome will then echo the appropriate IR commands.

In your situation, it sounds as if you're both receiving and sending IR. The only thing that I can suggest to break the chain (assuming that it does indeed create a problem) would be to put the transmitter in front of the USB-UIRT onto an appliance module. Normally have this off so you don't encounter the repeating situation. Then switch it ON, just prior to sending IR to the USB-UIRT and off again when done.

It might work

Dave.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 24 2005 at 06:59 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Good point! I thought about using appliance modules on some receivers to control where the signals go. If I do this, I'll have to get some quiet ones. My budget camera mux using appliance modules is in the basement, but, I can sometimes hear them. These would be a lot closer to the action.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version