Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: newbie needs help Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
haydini

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 08 2003 at 09:13 | IP Logged Quote haydini

Hi, I just downloaded a test copy of Powerhome and have been trying to figure it out.  I have a very interesting application for X10 but fairly simple requirements on the software end.  Two things...

First...  I tried in the trial version to create tabs and subsequent button in the Control Center and nothing happened even when I reinitialized.  Eventually I got something at the top of the page but it wasn't a tab, it just listed the tabs title but I couldn't click on it or create any thing in it.

Second....  I am using the x10 appliance modules to drive an air compressor and some A/C solenoid valves for a pneumatic application that routes air into different chambers depending on the status of the valve, open or close.  Some of the valves need to be turned on for a period of a few minutes while the others remain closed, then the valves have to switch, the open ones close and the closed ones open etc.  This occurs on a period basis say every 5 minutes or 10 minutes.  Does anyone have a basic macro that I could work with and modify that basically turns on an X10 appliance module for a period of time, then turns it off, then on again and off again over a period of time?  Even if I had the basics of how to turn on or off the devices using a Macro or Send Keys command would be helpful.  It's been a long time since I've done any lower level programming and it will take me some time to figure out even a basic application.  Thanks for any help.

John H.

Back to Top View haydini's Profile Search for other posts by haydini

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 09 2003 at 11:16 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

John,

Welcome to the PowerHome message board!

The trick to the Control Center is doing things in order.  It sounds as if you've managed to get a single tab created from your description, but no buttons.  Since this question pops up every so often, I'll just quickly detail the process below.

1.  The first thing necessary is to create some Control Center Tabs.  Open the PowerHome Explorer and navigate to the "Tabs" section.  On this screen you can create your Control Center tabs.  Be sure and set the tab order greater than 0 or the tab won't be displayed.

2.  After tabs are created, you can start using them.  There are four screens in the Explorer where you can select Control Center Tabs.  They are Macros, IR Equipment, X-10 Housecodes, and Send Keys.  On each of these screens is a field called "Custom Tab".  You'll be able to select any of the tabs that you created in Step 1.

3.  The next step is to define some buttons to appear on the tabs.  In the Macros and Send Keys screens, the button definitions are right there with the "Custom Tab" field and nothing extra is necessary.  On the IR Equipment screen, you'll need to navigate down 1 level and create the buttons.  On the X-10 screen, you'll need to navigate down 2 levels and define your buttons.

4.  Once you've defined your buttons, you'll need to either reinitialize, restart, or close and reopen the Control Center window in order to see the changes.  You'll now see your tabs as well as the buttons (it may appear that only one button is there because the default location for the buttons are all stacked one on top of another).  You'll now want to arrange and resize your buttons.  Right-click on the Control Center tab you wish to customize and select the "Open Design View" option.  A new window will open where you'll have full access to moving, resizing, coloring, etc the buttons.  Once you save and close this screen, you'll need to close and reopen the Control Center again to see the changes you made.

Concerning your application.  This should be easy to accomplish in PowerHome.  I can think of several different ways to accomplish it however.  Could you provide me some more details concerning the timing and the modules (valves) you wish to control.  I could then put together a skeleton for you using the best technique.

Thanks,

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

haydini

Posted: May 09 2003 at 14:58 | IP Logged Quote haydini

Thanks for you advice.  I did figure out how to get the buttons on the control center.  I then started to play with the macros and figured out I could create a state change (on-off) in the X-10 appliance modules I have set up in the program with two macro lines

X-10-1  followed by housecode A followed by a value of 1 (1st device)

Then on the second line

X-10-1 followed by House Code A followed by a value of ON or OFF

That triggered the change.  If there is a more direct or easy way please let me know.  Thanks.  If you have any coding recommendations that would enhance this type of on off switching of the appliance modules let me know.

I am using the WAIT macro to put delays in between state changes as necessary.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 09 2003 at 15:12 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

John,

You've got it.  PowerHome basically supports the raw X-10 command language where you must first address a device and then send a command to it.  If you want multiple devices (within the same housecode) to respond to the same command, just address them one after another and then send a single command.  For example:

X-10 1 A 1
X-10 1 A 2
X-10 1 A 3
X-10 1 A On

will cause all three modules 1 through 3 to turn on simultaneously rather than cascaded.

The WAIT command is perfect for this application.  When you get to a point where the sequence repeats itself, you jump back to the top of the macro with either the JUMP command or the GOTO LABEL command.

The only other suggestion that I have is you might want to create a global variable to use as a flag for when the macro should stop executing.  If you have a macro that uses the WAIT command and constantly loops, then you'll have no way of stopping that macro without shutting down PowerHome.  Using a GV, you could check its value on every iteration of the loop (or several times within the loop for more control) and if the global has a certain value then exit the macro.

Other than that, it sounds like you're well on your way.  Let me know if you have any further questions,

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

haydini

Posted: May 09 2003 at 15:23 | IP Logged Quote haydini

Thanks so much Dave, I was wondering about how to prevent the cascading and doing it simultaneously and about how to stop a looping macro.  Thanks again.

John

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version