Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: PH Web Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: August 11 2003 at 21:14 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I've been busy reworking my web interface for use on my main TV. Here are a few sample screens to maybe spark others...

Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 12 2003 at 07:07 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

Those look great!!!  BTW, what MP3 player are you using that has a web interface?  Im curious about what your weather and TV listing look like.  Nice and large for viewing on your TV and easily navigable with your Gyration.

Well folks, Tony has set the bar here...I'd be interested in stuff others have done as well.  If anyone has any questions either on how to do similar stuff or how to get started in general, just ask away.  I'll be more than happy to help and Im sure Tony will as well.

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: August 12 2003 at 09:04 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Thanks, Dave!

The player is just WinAmp! I'm running a plug-in called BrowseAmp (www.browseamp.com) that handles the web stuff, and, what you see is an html skin that I created, which is available at that site. The weather and TV listing pages are still under construction (very messy still)! I'll see if I can get them cleaned up a bit more, and post some shots tonight.

Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

mustangcoupe
Super User
Super User

Posted: August 15 2003 at 11:06 | IP Logged Quote mustangcoupe

Tony/Dave.

I am interested in starting my HA project.  But as you said I just dont know where to start.......

I have the eveluation version of PH and some X10 modues (keychain remotes and a firecracker module) but that is it.  Where how do you all reccomend to start.  I am building a cir module also.

HA newbie

PowerHome - UPB - ELK    
Back to Top View mustangcoupe's Profile Search for other posts by mustangcoupe Visit mustangcoupe's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: August 15 2003 at 20:59 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I started by automating things that irritated me : The porch light not being on when I came home at night was the main one, also, holiday light control based on it actually getting dark (i.e. around dusk); adding a motion detector in the utility room to control the light fixture that never had a switch; and, randomizing the lights going on and off when I'm out of town.

I then moved to cool things: turning on task lighting over the kitchen sink when motion is detected in the sink; turning off all the lights in the house when I "say" goodbye with a remote (the lights go back on after that happens and then, later, when motion is detected in the main entryway); and, forwarding Caller ID info to my office or cell phone when I'm not home; and, whole-house audio driven by my PH system, WinAmp, and some hardware to send that audio over my existing phone wiring.

My examples could go on and on! Pick something that would help you out, or, would be "oh, so cool" to have, and start with that.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 16 2003 at 11:44 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Todd,

If you are going to get serious about automation, then I would also highly recommend you get a CM11A interface.  There is only so much automation that can be done with the Firecracker since it is one way.  Eventually, you'll probably want to upgrade to an RF interface as well so you can get rid of all the transceiver modules plugged into the wall.  I was starting to have trouble finding spare outlets where I could plug one into .

Automation for me started out as a well to keep track of the songs in my CD jukebox changer.  It grew to having the computer send the IR for my jukebox (the birth of PowerHome).  I then extended it to control all of my IR equipment.  I had X-10 control via RF remotes, transceivers, and modules, but not through the computer.  After a while, it only made sense to combine the two together.  I now use PowerHome to control my AC, lights, theater equipment, and security cameras.  I can control all of this using RF remotes, the web, and even my cell phone.  At any time, I can connect to the internet via T-Mobile, and view one of my cameras right from my phone.  Having an intelligent interface sensing occupancy based upon motion sensors to control my AC has saved quite a bit on the electric bill as well.

Like Tony said, start small and automate what currently irritates you.  Like me, I got tired of having 10 or so remotes on the coffee table.  You'll find your own little niche of what you're comfortable with.

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

mustangcoupe
Super User
Super User

Posted: August 16 2003 at 22:54 | IP Logged Quote mustangcoupe

Thanks Guys... Thats what I had started to do... I was tired of comming home to find out that neither of us remembered to turn the porch light on.  (She would blame me of course) so I have a x10 switch for the porch light and we each have a slim fire remote! Problem solved.  Now when you say RF interface what exactly do you mean?  isnt that what the tranceiver module is? (But the tranceiver is only for one house code right...)

Todd

HA newbie

PowerHome - UPB - ELK    
Back to Top View mustangcoupe's Profile Search for other posts by mustangcoupe Visit mustangcoupe's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: August 31 2003 at 18:10 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Here is my weather page (incorporating the nifty, new-to-me WeatherWatcher)...

I just need to add some links to things like radar, detailed forecasts, etc.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version