Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: RedRat /CPU-XA/Ocelot Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 15 2004 at 09:25 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

Hi Guys....

My RedRat2 recently went to electronics heaven. I need to replace it and was looking for some feed back on the Ocelot vrs. a new RR3 . If I understand correctly the Ocelot would also take the place of my CM11A? Right now the 11A seems to be the bottleneck in the system. Response is about 3+ seconds after receiving a command from PH. Any feedback or other options would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve A

Back to Top View SteveA's Profile Search for other posts by SteveA Visit SteveA's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 15 2004 at 12:23 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Steve,

Sorry to hear about your RR2.  Its a great infrared controller.

Yes, the Ocelot *COULD* take the place of your CM11A.  It uses a TW-523 X-10 interface to communicate with the powerline.  I say *could* because you will give up some things:

The TW-523 is incapable of receiving extended X-10 commands.  This may not be of importance to you however. 

The TW-523 is capable of sending extended X-10 commands, however when coupled with the Ocelot, this complete functionality is not extended.  The Ocelot does support a limited set of extended commands for direct scene control with Leviton controllers, but the programming of these commands is not available in the interface.  In any event, PowerHome only supports standard X-10 commands with the Ocelot.  If you don't have devices that support extended commands, then this is not a problem.

The TW-523 cannot accurately track incoming DIM commands.  The TW-523 will report when a dim command is received, but will not report what level the dim was at.  Again, this may not be a problem.  Escpecially if you are only sending DIM commands from PowerHome and using an RF receiver such as the MR26A or the W800RF32.

The TW-523 is FASTER however.  It reports X-10 commands as it sees them instead of the slight delay with the CM11A.

Now, that doesn't mean that you shouldnt get an Ocelot.  You can still use the two-way infrared features and you pick up the ability to do digital inputs/outputs and analog inputs.  You also will have the capability of zoned infrared control (all of this with additional modules, of course).  You could still use a CM11A in conjunction with an Ocelot as your only X-10 interface, or PowerHome can be configured so that the CM11A is used with the TW-523 of the Ocelot.  You could set the CM11A to respond only to extended commands and incoming dims and send extended commands using the CM11A and all other X-10 incoming/outgoing go through the Ocelot. 

Another option would be to use the Ocelot with a PowerLinc RS-232.  This device takes the place of the TW-523.  It can be operated in one of two modes.  In TW-523 mode, it acts exactly line a TW-523 and would be connected to the Ocelot in the same manner with the same limitations.  If that setup is two restrictive for you, you could then disconnect the PowerLinc from the Ocelot and plug it directly into the computer and run it in its native PowerLinc mode.  In this mode, you have the two-way extended command capability, but it would not be visible with the Ocelot.

Another plus for the Ocelot, is that it has the ability to be running its own programs internally.  While PowerHome does not create these internal programs (use the Ocelots own C-MAX software), it is designed to work in conjunction with them.

Im wondering why you would have a 3 second delay with the CM11A?  Is this delay when transmitting a command via palm pad or keychain remote and then waiting for something to happen?  If thats the case, the Ocelot with TW-523 (or PowerLinc) will help a little, but not a lot.  This type of delay is best fixed by moving to an RF receiver that connects directly to the computer (MR26A or W800RF32).  If its not an RF problem, then there may be a problem with noise on your line.  In my own situation, I had to disconnect my CM11A and start using a PowerLinc because of the addition of a Leviton Smart repeater/coupler.  When I hooked this device up, the CM11A seemed to get confused and would sometimes even completely lock up.

I know its a lot of information but I hope it helps .

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

SteveA
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: February 15 2004 at 18:38 | IP Logged Quote SteveA

Dave,

The delay seems to be the CM11A digesting or processing the PH command. I imbedded a 'test' user message box in a PH macro, it displays almost instantly when receiving a signal via the WF80032. The cursor icon changes from the hourglass to the pointer about 5 or 6 times then the X10 unit responds. I did put a plug in phase coupler on the 220v line seems to have helped so the problem probably is in the lines. Also found for some reason if I plug the power supply of my notebook into the same circuit as my desktop (PH unit) it totally disables the CM11A.

Thanks for the help!

Steve.

P.S. Also tried using a one line PH_formula vrs. multiple line X10 house code command in a couple macro's thinking maybe it would cut processing time, there was no noticeable difference.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 15 2004 at 19:33 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

"if I plug the power supply of my notebook into the same circuit as my desktop (PH unit) it totally disables the CM11A"

This means that you need to get an X-10 powerline filter for your laptop.  I bought a few from iautomate.com, and, they work great.

How old is the computer that you are running PH on? My old 486 was not enough , so, I bought a new, low-end box with Win XP Home, and, it now flies.

Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version